The Municipality of Bluewater started a class environmental assessment process (Class CA) in October 2017 to see about options for upgrading the existing water storage facilities. Investigations found the water storage facility in Hensall is nearing the end of its service life and does not provide adequate pressure throughout the community to maintain efficient operation of the water system. The environmental study report to conclude phase four of the Class EA planning process has been completed.
What is a Class Environmental Assessment?
A Class EA is an approved planning document which describes the process that municipalities must follow to meet the requirements of the Environmental Assessment Act. Working through the steps of a Class EA helps municipalities find different solutions for projects that might have an impact on the environment. The process also includes mandatory requirements for municipalities to collect feedback from community members who might be affected by the project.
The Class EA planning process is divided into five phases:
- Phase 1: Problem identification
- Phase 2: Evaluation of alternative solutions to the defined problems and selection of a preferred solution.
- Phase 3: Identification and evaluation of alternative design concepts in selection of a preferred design concept.
- Phase 4: Preparation and submission of an environmental study report (ESR) for public and government agency review.
- Phase 5: Implementation of the preferred alternative and impact monitoring.
Project reports and facts
A notice of study completion was issued for the project on July 7th, 2020. The commenting period closed August 8th, 2020.
In July 2020, the screening report for the new Hensall water storage facility Class EA was made available by the municipality. The report was completed by B.M. Ross and Associates Limited.
Funding options for the project and the financial impact for users of the Hensall water storage facility are unknown at this time.
As part of the Class EA process, the municipality held a public information meeting on July 25th, 2018. The presentation materials can be requested by contacting the utilities clerk.