Request for public comment/local knowledge: Beach access parcels for disposition
The public consultation period is now closed. The comments received will be compiled and provided to Council at a later date. If Council decides that any of the seven parcels should be sold, they will be listed and interested parties will then be directed to By-law Number 30-2021(b) Highway Closure & Disposition of Land Policy. Please continue to check our website and social media for updates.
Beach access parcels for potential disposition
The following parcels have been identified for potential disposition. Where not constructed is stated as part of the description, no access has been constructed there at this time.
Walk Pl 157 Bayfield Confirmed by 22BA2272; N of Pt 1, 22R1727 PIN 41206-0049 is located between 113 & 115 Tuyll St. This 10 foot parcel created February 13, 1953, is not constructed.
Unnamed Lane Pl 102 Stanley Abutting Lts 5 & 6 Pl 102 PIN 41207-0062 is located between 75289 & 75293 Glitter Bay Drive. This 10 foot parcel created August 4, 1949, is not constructed.
Block B Plan 114 Stanley is a previous well parcel. PIN 41218-0223 is located between 33718 & 33715 Grainger Court. This 10 foot parcel created June 2, 1966, has an old concrete block pumphouse on it.
Block B Plan 537 Hay S/T R 340761; S/T R341283; S/T R82609; S/T 323241 PIN 41220-0053 is located between 73369 & 73377 Sandy Beach Road. This 20 foot parcel created August 15, 1979, is not constructed.
Walk Plan 531 Hay Btn Lots 11 & 12 Pl 531 PIN 41229-0197 is located between 72533 & 72541 Princess St. This 10 foot parcel created October 24, 1961, is not constructed and does not extend to Lake Huron.
Second Lane Pl 518 Hay S/T R36108, R141618, R312284, R281168, R269958, R308584, R301710, R329094, R299464, R64689, R32980, R283797 PIN 41454-0014 is located between 71871 & 71875 Sunview Ave. This 12 foot parcel created May 12, 1948, has been eroded to the point that it is considered not feasible to recover.
South Lane Pl 520 Hay is located between 71613 & 71625 Old Cedarbank Lane. This 15 foot parcel created February 27, 1950, is not constructed.
In February 2021, Council requested that staff prepare a comprehensive review of Lake Huron accesses. The Municipality of Bluewater owns 75 beach access parcels including road allowances between Bayfield and County Road 83 (Dashwood Road).
Staff conducted the review and Council held a Special Meeting on May 4th, 2022.
The goals of the review were to:
- Identify parcels that are not needed for municipal purposes and therefore are suitable for disposal.
- Identify parcels that are needed for municipal purposes and therefore not suitable for disposal.
A report was prepared for the special council meeting. A set of principles and criteria to use in reviewing municipal Lake Huron access parcels was developed. The full report to Council describing the process can be found through our council portal.
Council received a review of each parcel of land. The following is a summary of key points:
- Seventeen parcels were identified as necessary for municipal purposes because they are the only municipally owned parcels in a neighbourhood.
- Four parcels were identified as necessary for municipal purposes to provide access from future second or third row development.
- Twenty-one parcels were identified as necessary for municipal stormwater purposes.
- Six road allowances were referred to the Recreation Master Plan for evaluation for future recreation use, but in any event are needed for stormwater purposes.
- Twelve parcels that are related/attached to land were referred to the Recreation Master Plan, but in any event are needed for stormwater purposes.
- Eight parcels were identified as having public/community interest.
Finally, seven parcels were identified for potential disposition and Council directed that public and neighbourhood comments be requested between May 15th and August 31st, 2022.
At the end of the comment period on August 31st, all comments will be compiled and provided to Council. If Council decides that any of the seven parcels should be sold, they will be listed and interested parties will then be directed to By-law Number 30-2021(b) Highway Closure & Disposition of Land Policy.