After careful consideration and in consultation with members of the public, the Municipality of Bluewater is moving forward with the revitalization of Bayfield Main Street. As one of Bluewater's core business districts and a showcase of Bluewater's history, the heritage Main Street is an important part of Bluewater and the wider community. Efforts will be made to enhance the streetscape and improve safety and accessibility year-round. Work will cover the area between Clan Gregor Square and Catherine Street.
Important improvements include:
- Adding pedestrian lighting along walkways and upgrading streetlights
- Improving drainage
- Planting rain gardens to improve water quality and reduce runoff
- Planting trees to restore the tree canopy
- Creating accessible sidewalks that are AODA compliant
- Adding more accessible parking spaces
The project is anticipated to start in spring of 2022 with completion in 2023.
Bayfield Main Street construction updates
The Municipality will be providing regular updates through different platforms. One way to keep informed is to subscribe to the mailing list for our Main Street Revitalization Newsletter. This will allow the newsletter to be sent directly to your email inbox. You can subscribe or unsubscribe at any time.
Community consultation hub
Another way to keep informed is to visit the Bayfield Main Street Revitalization community consultation hub. Here, you'll find frequently asked questions, timelines, and other construction updates as they are made available.
Visiting during construction
Our local businesses are open and ready to welcome you during construction! Construction will be paused between the end of June and early September.
To improve safety for visitors and workers, on street parking during construction will be restricted:
- Parking will be allowed on Main Street blocks that are not being worked on (i.e., when working between Charles and Catherine, parking will only be available on Main Street between Charles and Clan Gregor Square).
- Side street parking and parking around Clan Gregor Square will be encouraged.
- Off-site parking will be available at the Bayfield Community Centre.
Please watch for signage that will direct you toward available municipal parking areas.